Thursday, April 2, 2015

Assembling the Quadcopter

My semester project has been to create a quadcopter with the ability to perform a few basic functions autonomously. I hope through the use of an on board compass and GPS that I will be able to program the quadcopter with the ability to land and move short distances without direct control through a remote control.

I plan to use an Arduino based flight controller for the quadcopter. I have purchased one from 3D Robotics along with an external compass/GPS unit for hope to develop basic autonomy in the near future. I will start by using the ArduCopter program, which is an open source platform designed for autonomous flight, and then proceed to get insert my own Arduino code in the quadcopter to perform its functions. http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/introduction/

In order to begin this process of programming functions, I first need a working quadcopter. I have been assembling one but have run into numerous setbacks, usually involved with being sent or ordering the wrong part. I have finally gotten the quadcopter assembled and calibrated for flight after getting my motors running a few days ago, but I need to wait for an adapter for my battery before I can actually take it for a test flight.


No comments:

Post a Comment